Running a ground…

I suppose the health professions would describe the last month as my body plateauing. Reaching a point where it resists losing any more weight. Plateauing can last for a time and can be very demoralising. This week I cycled 58 miles and ate in a controlled manner. I’ve now been 17 stone something for a very long time and if I’m not careful I’m going to believe the myth that this is it and I can’t loose anymore. To be fair that’s all a little scary but this I do know my exercise regime is good, my diet or food consumption is good and therefore I have to be a lot healthier than I was. Certainly more than two years ago when I was 22 stone and ate chips once or twice a day, every day. When food was my crutch and exercise my enemy, when I hated looking at myself in the mirror and hadn’t the confidence to exercise publicly.*

Let’s keep on keeping on, and more importantly enjoying life to the full…

5 thoughts on “Running a ground…

• 7th June 2010 at 3:52 am

Hey Pete, haven't been here in a while! Good job keepin on. I am going to have my mom read this because she has been experiencing the same. She has been working out regularly for a year now and although she has lost 22inches she has only lost 10 lbs. Her body is just loving this weight. I tell her to look at the fact that she is smaller no matter, but it can get discouraging! It will pay off eventually for you both!!

• 7th June 2010 at 2:57 pm

Got your message Toby, sorry the programme seems not to have published it. No unfortunately I'm not doing the June 100. I'm recovering from a knee injury and don't want to push my luck. 😉

• 8th June 2010 at 8:09 am

I don't think you've run aground, I think you're doing good. Congrats on the weight loss this week,btw. Having just read back through your blog a bit, I've seen you got under 18st for the first time in Feb, and since then you've had a knee injury. Despite that injury and the frustration it's caused, you've managed to stay in the 17s, which is pretty amazing.

You haven't blogged much about the knee injury – I'd be interested to know, as I think that is something quite significant (albeit unwanted) in your journey at the moment.

Given the injury, why not alter that goal for 1 July to 17st8? That would be just under what you'd achieved before (yay!) and a positive way to end off this etape of the route.

• 8th June 2010 at 9:35 am

Thanks Christie for the positive upshot… I think your right it has been a job well done not to let massive weight gain hit whilst injured.

Unfortunately I hit 17st 4lbs around this time last year. Your right but about the summer goal needing to change… I think I'd like to see me below 17st for the end of summer and below 16 for Christmas.

I think the major learning point for me well more of a reminder is that weight loss and management is a life long journey not a destination.

Thanks again for reading and for your comments – I appreciate them!